October is the month for blogging so I’ve heard! So despite the busy season, I’ve been making a greater effort to up my blogging game. Today’s one is all about embracing the incoming fall season! For those that know me, they know that fall is my favorite season and I absolutely love anything and everything fall related. They also know that I’m one of those few people that actually enjoys the overcast & gloomy days that are meant for curling up inside in a cozy sweater & scarf, with a cup of coffee and a good book. Although to be real a good book is almost always a pile of homework & study guides for exams. Two weeks ago kicked off the season with an entire rainy and overcast forecast, quizzes & midterms, a big interview and going home for fall break & getting to celebrate my 21st birthday with my family! Coming back got me into the swing of fall and got me thinking about my favorite fall things to do at home & in Charlottesville. Here’s my recommendation of things to do to get your fall on:
- Spend an afternoon enjoying wine/beer (Oktober fest anyone?) at a local vineyard/brewery! I recently turned 21 & went to my first vineyard this past Friday with some friends!
- Break out the comfy scarves, boots & flannel. Walking around Grounds I have definitely seen an influx of cute cardigans and sweaters & flannel that I wish I could add to my own closet.
- Go apple picking at Carter Mountain or a local orchard. Nothing makes my stomach happier than coming back with a box of apple cider donuts and curling up with a cup of hot cider. And Carter Mountain hands down has the best cider I’ve ever tasted!
- Decorate a pumpkin. This is something I get to do annually through SWE & it is not only a great stress reliever in the middle of midterm season but provides a little bit of fall festivity to my room
- Jumping/kicking/throwing around leaves on the Lawn! Can’t guarantee I won’t make you do it if I take your pictures during the fall season 🙂
- At the end of the month, dress up for Trick or Treating on the Lawn! This is one of my favorite UVA traditions and now that the Rotunda is back I intend to spend a lot of my time up on the steps looking out over the masses of cute kid and families dressed up and running around collecting candy from the Lawn rooms
I got to cross off that first bullet this past Friday by enjoying wine & beautiful Virginia views at Pippin Hill Farm. I’d seen pictures of the gorgeous vineyard in so many wedding blog posts before and was super ecstatic about being able to see it in person! My friend & I got a delicious Blanc de Blanc which according to Pippin is MEANT for celebrations! They say that their “sparkling Blanc de Blanc offers delicious aromas of yeast, vanilla, citrus and light toast leading to layered and creamy flavors of lemon, caramelized pear and golden apple. The finish is lean and zesty making these bubbles turn any occasion into a celebration.” And man, what better occasion than celebrating TWO 21st birthdays! My friend and my birthdays are only 1 day apart and so we commemorated our birthdays with the fitting Blanc de Blanc! We followed up with a scrumptious, belated birthday meal out by the fire at Fry Spring Station. Needless to say, it was a solid fall Friday afternoon & one that I’ll remember for a while to come. Here are a few pictures from our afternoon: